Centro de Estudios Graduados e Investigación
History of the Psychology Program
The Department of Psychology began by offering an undergraduate degree. The Master in Counseling Psychology program accepted its first class in the year 2000. By the mid-2000 a Master’s in School Psychology was integrated. The Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) in Counseling Psychology program began admitting students in spring 2006.
- Mrs. Damaris Díaz, Service Officer, Psychology Programs.
- Mrs. Díaz has a BA in Office Administration and a MA in Human Resources from Universidad Del Turabo. She has been at the UT since 2001 and at the Psychology Program since 2005.
- Dr. Edward H. Fankhanel, Associate Professor, Associate Dean of Psychology and Social Work Programs, Director of Training Counseling Psychology Program. (787) 743-7979
- Dr. Fankhanel earned his BA from University of Miami, and two Masters Degrees (Counseling Psychology and Criminal Justice) from Inter American University of Puerto Rico. He also has two doctorate degrees: EdD in Counseling Psychology from Argosy University, Sarasota, Florida and PhD in Clinical Sexology from the American Academy of Clinical Sexologists. Additionally, he has a Certificate of Advance Professional Competence in Forensic Psychology from Carlos Albizu University, San Juan Campus. He is the former president of the ethics committee and past president of the PR Psychology Board of Examiners.
- Dr. Fankhanel teaches: Ethics, Professional Issues in Counseling Psychology, Evidence-based Practices in Individual Counseling, Atypical Sexual Behaviors, Psychological Interventions for LGBTT Individuals and Substance Abuse Counseling.
- Dr. Silma Quiñones, Assistant Professor, Doctoral Program Coordinator.
- Dr. Quiñones has a BA in Psychology and MA in Clinical Psychology from University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras campus and a Ph.D in Counseling Psychology from the Professional School of Psychological Studies, San Francisco, California.
- Dr. Quiñones Teaches: Counseling Psychology Models & Techniques, Advanced Group Counseling, Marriage & Family Counseling, Consultation & Supervision and Diversity.
- Dr. Vidamaris Zayas, Assistant Professor, Internship Coordinator.
- Dr. Vidamaris Zayas earned a BA in Psychology from the University of Puerto Rico, Cayey, and a Psy.D in Clinical Psychology from Carlos Albizu University, San Juan Campus.
- Dr. Zayas teaches: Practicum courses.
- Dr. Jessica Velázquez, Assistant Professor, Director – Universidad del Turabo Psychology Service Clinic.
- Dr. Velázquez earned her BA, in Psychology, Master’s and Doctorate Degrees in Counseling Psychology from Universidad del Turabo.
- Dr. Velázquez teaches: Psychopathology and practicum supervision.
- Dr. William Casper, Professor, Psychology Program.
- Dr. Casper earned a PhD in Clinical Psychology from Universidad Complutence de Madrid, Spain.
- Dr. Casper teaches: Personality.
- Dr. Maria del Carmen Santos, Professor, Dean, School of Social Sciences and Communications.
- Dr. Santos earned a BS in Chemistry from the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez campus, and a MS and PhD in Clinical Psychology from Carlos Albizu University, San Juan Campus.
- Dr. Santos teaches: Biological Basis of Behavior, Neuropsychological Evaluation, Human Growth & Lifespan Development, and Cognitive Assessment.
- Dr. Úrsula Aragunde Kohl, Associate Professor, Program Director PASOS.
- Dr. Úrsula Aragunde Kohl earned her BA from the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras, Puerto Rico; and Master’s Degree (Clinical Psychology) from Carlos Albizu University, San Juan, Puerto Rico. She has a doctorate degree: Psy.D in Clinical Psychology from Carlos Albizu University, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Additionally, she assisted Graduate Studies in Experimental Psychology in Bavarian Julius-Maximilians University- Würzburg, Germany.
- Dr. Úrsula Aragunde Kohl teaches: Fundaments of Investigation, Animal Assisted Therapy: Animals as co-therapists in Health Care Settings, Program Evaluation and Introduction to Learning Theory, Behavioral and Motivational Psychology, consultation & Supervision.
- Dr. Jorge E. Berrios-Lugo, Assistant Professor, Internship Coordinator, Counseling Psychology Program. (787)743-7979
- Dr. Berrios earned his BS in Natural Science from University of Puerto Rico at Cayey and a Doctoral Degree with academic distinction in Clinical Psychology from Ponce School of Medicine. He made an internship in clinical neuropsychology at the San Juan City Hospital and completed a one year postdoctoral supervision in Clinical Neuropsychology at “Consultores Psicológicos” de Puerto Rico.
- Dr. Berrios teaches: Cognitive Assessment, Advance Psychopathology and Objective Personality Assessment, and practicum supervision. He is the Internship Coordinator of the Psychology Service Clinic Internship Program
- Dr. Francisco Millán-Torres, Assistant Professor, Master’s in Counseling Psychology Coordinator, Counseling Psychology Program. (787)743-7979
- Dr. Millán earned his Master’s and Doctorate degree in Counseling Psychology at Universidad del Turabo. Has been in private practice.
- Dr. Millán teaches: Core courses in Counseling and practicum supervision. He is the coordinator of the master’s in counseling psychology program.
- Dr. Frances Figueroa, PsyD – Clinical Psychology
- Dr. Ray Rivera, PhD – Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Dr. Joel Manzano, PhD, - Clinical Psychology
- Dr. Maria Navarro, PsyD – Counseling Psychology