Doctoral Degree in Counseling Psychology *
The mission of the Graduate Program in Counseling Psychology at the Universidad Ana G. Méndez, Recinto de Gurabo is to provide quality education and training in applied professional psychology. Facilitate and promote the teaching of theoretical, methodological, scientific, practical and ethical based knowledge that will enable students to develop competencies for the effective practice in counseling psychology, thus, enhancing human well-being.
Philosophy and Training Model
The graduate program in Counseling Psychology at the Universidad Ana G. Méndez, Recinto de Gurabo is wholly committed to the foundational values of the discipline of Counseling Psychology. In pursuing such values, we base our educational training philosophy on the Model Training Program in Counseling Psychology (Murdock, Alcorn, Heedacker, & Stoltenberg, 1998), and on the core themes of the counseling psychology discipline initially presented by Gelso & Fretz (2002). These themes were further elaborated and adopted by the Council of Counseling Psychology Training Programs (CCPTP) to uniquely identify the characteristics of counseling psychology programs. Additionally, our training program incorporates the National Council of Schools & Programs in Professional Psychology (NCSPP) (Peterson, Peterson, Abrams, & Stricker, 1997) competencies for professional psychologists. Furthermore, our program also adheres to the Counseling Psychology Model Training Values Statement Addressing Diversity which was endorsed by the American Counseling Center Training Agencies (ACCTA), the Council of Counseling Psychology Training Programs CCPTP, and the Society for Counseling Psychology (SCP) in August 2006.
The program adopted the model of training set up by the APA’s Vail Conference on psychology training. Such standards emphasize the direct delivery of professional and ethical services in psychology and the evaluation and improvement of services for Psy.D programs (APA, 1973; Fretz, 1974).
Although the Vail conference focuses on a scholar-practitioner model, the program at the Universidad Ana G. Méndez, Recinto de Gurabo is practitioner base, and integrates the scientific methods and knowledge to enhance the clinical training in the direct delivery of psychological services. To demonstrate competencies in both, direct delivery of clinical services and the integration of scientific knowledge to the practice, students must demonstrated competence in the clinical areas of intervention (psychological assessment, counseling and psychotherapy) and competence in the evaluation of research as it relates to evidence-based practices of the profession. The program emphasizes on an integrative model of psychological training.
The training curriculum is geared on a sequential coursework, practicum, socialization with faculty and community of professionals that enable the students to learn and grow in the professional competencies under an atmosphere of respect and values. The curriculum is structured to sequentially increase the complexity of knowledge and skills needed to attain entry level counseling psychology competencies. In doing so, it is designed to prepare students for lifelong education which is required to be an effective and successful professional in counseling psychology.
Based on the philosophical perspectives of the program, the main goal of the program is to produce competent counseling psychology practitioners. This main goal is achieved by fulfilling the following specific goals:
- Goal 1. To train graduate student with the required knowledge and skills for the entry and/or continuation into the competent professional practice of counseling psychology.
- Objective 1.1 Students demonstrate proficiency in conducting psychological assessments and the appropriate analysis and interpretation procedures.
- Objective 1.2 Students demonstrate mastery in the core areas of theory and practice of psychotherapy.
- Objective 1.3 Students demonstrate knowledge of diversity and multicultural issues as well as the competencies to apply them to the practice of professional psychology.
- Objective 1.4 Students demonstrate proficiency in providing supervision and psychotherapy.
- Goal 2. To train Counseling Psychology practitioners that can effectively integrate scholarly research and practice as well as apply scholarly inquiry skills in a competent manner.
- Objective 2.1 Students demonstrate knowledge regarding the scientific process of inquiry of the profession.
- Objective 2.2 Students are able to apply their knowledge of scientific inquiry in analyzing research data.
- Objective 2.3 Students are able to use scholarship skills in analyzing clinical, social and professional issues..
- Goal 3. To train graduate students who may constantly apply and exhibit high ethical standards in their professional practice of Counseling Psychology, and attitudes and skills that sustain life-long learning and professional problem solving.
- Objective 3. 1 Students will demonstrate understanding of ethical and legal principles of the profession.
- Objective 3.2 Students demonstrate the ability to analyze and apply ethical knowledge to ethical situations of the profession.
- Objective 3. 2 Students demonstrate appropriate skills and attitudes that will support life-long learning and professional problem solving.